Make and drink FREE apple cider with Not Far From The Tree. On Friday October 9th from 12:00pm to 2:00pm at the Eastview Neighbourhood Community Centre Gymanasium, Not Far From The Tree is bringing their cider-making equipment to give Riverdale Food Working Group members the opportunity to make and drink their own cider.
It is a wonderful and tasty fall experience for everyone!
To attend please RSVP at: http://bit.ly/1MYosMI OR call 647-478-6589.
We are excited to announce that the official opening of our 2015 Good Food Market season is Tuesday June 2! Come by one of our markets each week to get excellent produce at affordable prices!
Our market schedule is:
- Tuesdays from 2-6 at South Riverdale Community Health Centre (955 Queen St. East)
- Wednesdays from 2-6 at Eastview Neighbourhood Community Centre (86 Blake St.)
- Thursdays from 2-6 at Ralph Thornton Centre (765 Queen St. East)
Want to get involved? We are always looking for volunteers for our markets, as well as vendors to add to the market experience. Call Stephen at 416-461-1925 Ext. 344 or email him at email@example.com for more details.
We hope to see you there!
Take a walk on the wild side with Danette Steele – the herbalist. Learn to identify common local wild plants for food that are nutritious and delicious. The healing properties of local wild plants will also be discussed and Danette will share sustainable and safe practices for gathering and making remedies. Tasting included.
Date: Thursday, May 28th
Time: 6pm to 8pm
Meet at: Good Food Market, Queen and Saulter
To register email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: Wanda 416-461-3577 x226
About Danette Steele – the herbalist + city farmer
Danette has more than 20 years of experience as a herbal practitioner and community educator. Danette loves to share healing plant wisdom along with yummy recipes, garden design ideas and growing tips. Her teaching spaces are engaging, fun and practical. Danette is committed to facilitating joyous and rigorous learning experiences – through workshops, consultations, wild weed walks, herbal classes, mindfulness meditations and cooperatively-designed eco urban gardens. For more info check out www.danette-steele.com
(3 POSITIONS AVAILABLE)
CASUAL (8-12 HOURS/WEEK), MAY – OCTOBER 2015
The Riverdale Food Working Group (RFWG) is made up of community members and community service agencies striving to enhance food security and food justice in East Toronto. The RFWG’s mission is to facilitate the building of healthy and equitable food systems, address food insecurity issues and to engage community residents (particularly those marginalized) to participate in activities that will improve access to healthy and fresh food, while raising awareness about food issues, and offering opportunities for skill development, education, and empowerment.
The Good Food Market Hub Project consists of three Good Food Markets (GFM) which are run entirely by volunteers. These are hosted by the South Riverdale Community Health Centre (SRCHC),Eastview Neighbourhood Community Centre (ENCC) and the Ralph Thornton Community Centre(RTCC). The main goal is to bring high-quality and low-cost fruits and vegetables into our community while providing volunteer opportunities, empowering vulnerable folks in the area, and advocating for good food!
The GFM Coordinator(s) will be responsible for organizing one of the three weekly markets. Coordinators will work closely with the Good Food Market Hub Animator as well as staff from the host agency. Tasks required include volunteer management, outreach, advocacy, some administrative duties, and some light duty lifting (~40lb). Candidates must be available for either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday afternoons/evenings from May until October(approx). It is expected that students can negotiate course credit for this field experience.
– Assist the Hub Animator with the volunteer orientation workshop
– Manage, engage, and support the GFM volunteer team. Includes: weekly volunteer schedules, skill de-velopment, conflict resolution, delegating tasks, market day logistics, and other duties as required
– Attend regular meetings with the RFWG and the GFM Committee
– Submit weekly fruit & vegetable order to FoodShare
– Ensure smooth set-up and tear-down of the weekly GFM
– Maintain RFWG financial reporting paperwork after weekly GFM
– Assist agency staff and the Hub Animator with community outreach and market promotion
– Ensure equitable access to RFWG programming for all volunteers at all times
– Engage community members with community food security issues
– Assist with special events and RFWG workshops
– Some familiarity with food security issues and community food initiatives
– Current enrolment in, or completion of, a degree program in social work, environmental or food studies, community development, public health, or related field is a strong asset
– Strong verbal communication and people skills
– Strong organizational and time-management skills
– Some experience working or volunteering in a diverse community context, ideally related to food security
– Proven capacity for conflict mediation and resolution
– Experience managing volunteers and/or working with vulnerable populations considered a strong asset
Successful candidate(s) must be willing to undergo a criminal background check.
This post is open until April 21st Candidates will not be contacted until after the post closes.
Please email your cover letter and resume to “GFM Hub Animator” at email@example.com
GFM Hub Animator
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
RFWG is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from folks of all levels of
income and all cultural, religious, racial, sexual, and gender orientations. We would like to thank
all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about the RFWG check us out.
Website: riverdalefood.org Facebook: riverdalefood Twitter: @riverdalefood
FREE SEED SAVING WORKSHOP
Learn how to save seeds in the city with the Toronto Seed Library. In this all-ages information session, we’ll “bee” reviewing the basics of seed libraries and seed saving plus have free seeds on hand for everyone.
There will also be a Children’s Planting Workshop, so bring the whole family!
Thursday April 16th, 2015
6:30 PM-8:00 PM
Ralph Thornton Centre 2nd Floor
765 Queen St. E.
Call the Queen/Saulter Library at 416-393-7723 to register
GOOD FOOD MARKET (GFM) HUB ANIMATOR
PART-TIME, CONTRACT POSITION
21 HOURS PER WEEK
APRIL 20, 2015 – OCTOBER 30, 2015
HOURLY RATE: $19.66
(POTENTIAL FOR ADDITIONAL HOURS DEPENDING ON FUNDING)
The South Riverdale Community Health Centre (SRCHC) is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary health care, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion to residents of Riverdale and South East Toronto.
The SRCHC is the Trustee for the Riverdale Food Working Group (RFWG). The RFWG is a grassroots organization composed of members from the community and four local service organizations, including SRCHC. The RFWG mission is to facilitate the building of healthy and equitable food systems, address food insecurity issues and to engage residents in the community (particularly marginalized people and those on low income) to participate in activities that will improve access to healthy and fresh food.
The RFWG’s Good Food Market project consists of three Good Food Markets: located at the South Riverdale Community Health Centre; the Eastview Neighbourhood Community Centre; and the Ralph Thornton Community Centre. The Good Food Markets (GFMs) provide fresh, high quality, nutritious and affordable food for purchase at local outdoor markets.
The GFMs Hub Animator works in close collaboration with the RFWG Good Food Markets (GFMs) Committee and the RFWG Steering Committee to coordinate the RFWG GFMs at three sites: SRCHC, Eastview and Riverside RTC. The position is based at the SRCHC, reporting to the Manager, Newcomers and Families and to the RFWG Steering Committee.
• Attends and participates in the GFMs committee meetings
• Monitors and manages the GFMs budget with the GFMs committee
• Leads, manages, recruits and supports a diverse team of volunteers
• Documents and updates the operational manual for the RFWG GFMs project
• Works with GFM host sites to recruit and select GFM volunteer coordinators
• Delivers orientation training for the community volunteer workers in collaboration with the GFM committee and each RFWG GFM site
• Liaises with each of the three designated site leaders on a weekly basis
• Facilitates communication and collaboration among the three GFMs
• Provides support to each of the three GFM sites, as needed, in the areas of volunteer coordination, ordering, market days, market floats, money recollection with SRCHC petty cash and distribution of market leftovers
• Prepares the final evaluation report for the GFMs project
• Works in collaboration with the RFWG GFM Harvest Meal Program
• Helps with events and other duties as determined by the GFM committee
• Post-secondary education preferred
• Excellent communication, coordination and organizational skills
• Skilled group facilitator and experience with popular education methods
• Demonstrated experience of working with vulnerable populations
• Solid knowledge of food security issues
• Financial management skills
• Ability to work independently and be very effective in a team environment
• Strong networking and information sharing skills
• Collaborative approach with groups/project leadership
• Excellent time management skills
• Demonstrated experience with community development projects
• Knowledge of the Riverdale community essential
• Excellent computer and social media skills
• Experience working with an anti-oppression framework
• Commitment to inclusive approaches to community building
• Creative problem solver
• Knowledge of safe food handling; Food Handling Certificate an asset
• Second language skills an asset
A police clearance letter completed within the past twelve months will be required prior to commencing employment.
The deadline for applicants is Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. Please send your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee
GFM Hub Animator
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3